Friday, August 6, 2010

Friday's Frugal Food

Here is a recipe for Syrup.    :)

1 Cup brown sugar OR sucanat
3 Cups water
5 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon maple flavoring

Mix the first three ingredients in a saucepan.  Cook over medium heat until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and stir in maple flavoring.  Store in refrigerator.


Now, I haven't done an actual cost comparison with this recipe and generic syrup, but that's because I try not to buy "regular" syrup.  For the last couple of years, I've been weaning my family off of high fructose corn syrup and that is pretty much all pancake syrup is made of.  But compared with real maple syrup, this recipe is much cheaper.  My hubby even likes it, and he is very picky when it comes to things like this.

1 comment:

  1. My mother has made this kind of homemade syrup for years, but I don't think she uses cornstarch, just sugar water and flavoring. Maybe she boils it and then reduces it?

    ReplyDelete